Melbourne Cup Betting
When Aussies speak of “The Cup” they are undoubtedly referring to the annual Melbourne Cup. Dubbed the “race that stops a nation”, it is the world’s richest and most prestigious horse race that is the focal point of the Victorian Spring Racing Carnival.
Originally ran over 2 miles, it is now raced over 3,200 meters due to Australia adopting the metric system in 1972. Each year it is held at 3pm on the first Tuesday in November.
Full 2012 Melbourne Cup Results
1. Green Moon
2. Fiorente (1 length behind)
5. Mount Athos
6. Glencadum Gold
8. Red Cadeaux
10. My Quest for Peace
13. Voila Ici
16. Lights of Heaven
20. Galileo’s Choice
21. Unusual Suspect
23. Tac De Boistron
Tips for Betting on the Cup
- Bet on horses who have proven their ability to race over long distances. IMO, the most important tip.
- Statistically, 4 and 5 year olds have the highest chance of winning. Too young or old have a hard time winning.
- Look at the age of the horses, not many horses 7 years or older win, horses are in their prime from 3-7 years.
- Watch the weather and note which horses like the forecast conditions, rain can make an enormous difference.
- Don’t discount any horse without studying its form, the favourite only wins the Cup approximately 20% of the time.
- Multiples pay extremely well, picking the Trifecta can be very rewarding both financially and for confidence.
- Try and learn as much information as possible on foreign horses, taking particular interest in their ability to race over 3,000 meters.
- Weight plays a big part in long races, often longshots with a light weight have a big advantage over the top weighted horses.
- Watch the other distance races leading up to the Cup, especially the Caulfield Cup, Mackinnon Stakes, Cox Plate and Geelong Cup to see how the Cup horses finish off the race.
When is the Melbourne Cup?
The Melbourne Cup is run on the first Tuesday in November. This year, that falls on Tuesday the 5th of November, 2013.
What time is the Melbourne Cup race?
The 2013 Melbourne Cup will race at 3PM AEST
Was the Melbourne Cup always held on a Tuesday?
No, prior to 1875, it was held on a Thursday.
What year was the first year of the Melbourne Cup?
Who won the very first Melbourne Cup?
What year did Phar Lap win the Cup?
Melbourne Cup Trivia
- The largest field had 39 starters in 1890.
- The smallest field had just 7 starters in 1863.
- Not a single horse has won the race from barrier number 18.
- The prize money for the first Cup in 1861 was 1,420 Pounds.
- The shortest priced favourite to win was Phar Lap, paying 8/11.
- Makybe Diva is the only horse to win the Melbourne Cup 3 times.
- Legendary trainer Bart Cummings has the record of training the most winners, which is currently 12.
- Bobbie Lewis and Harry White are the only two jockeys who have ridden the winner of the Cup 4 times.
- Clare Lindop was the first Australian female to ride in the Cup in 2003, she rode Debben who did not place.
- Sheila Laxon was the first woman trainer to officially win the Melbourne Cup with Ethereal in 2001.
- The prize money reached $1,000,000 AUD for the very first time in 1985.
- The highest paying trifecta on the Melbourne Cup was $61,867.90 in 1993.
Videos of Recent Melbourne Cup Winners
2012 Winner – Green Moon
1st – Green Moon
2nd – Fiorente
3rd – Jakkalberry
4th – Kelinni
Last – Ethiopia
Dashing to the lead in the final straight, Green Moon easily accounted for second place getter, Fiorente by a little over a length. There was no doubt once Green Moon was in the lead that the thoroughbred was going to keep its place and mark its name in history.
2011 Winner – Dunaden
1st – Dunaden
2nd – Red Cadeaux
3rd – Lucas Cranach
4th – Americain
Last – Modun
We haven’t seen a finish this close since Viewed and Bauer crossed the line neck and neck in 2008. Dunaden and Red Cadeaux hit the line together but Dunaden won by a nose in a heart stopping finish to the 151st Melbourne Cup that won’t be forgotten for some time.
Dunaden won the Geelong Cup in preparation for the Cup just like last years winner, Americain who started the race as $4.50 favourite and finished respectively in 4th position.
2010 Winner – Americain
1st – Americain
2nd – Maluckyday
3rd – So You Think
4th – Zipping
Last – Zavite
DNF – Descarado
European trained Americain settled at the back of the field, out from the rail but this put him in a good position to make his run for the finish.
Gerald Mosse’s timing was perfect, coming out wide on the final turn, the light weight (54.5 kg’s) helped him bolt away in the final straight to win the race easily in the end by 2-3/4 lengths.
Bottom weight (51 kg’s) Maluckyday came 2nd with a strong finish Favourite So You Think came in 3rd positoin, while Zipping finished 4th for the third time.
2009 Winner- Shocking
1st – Shocking
2nd – Crime Scene
3rd – Mourilyan
4th – Master O’Reilly
Last – Warringah
Shocking and Crime Scene burst into the lead on the turn, Crime Scene battled on courageously but Shocking was simply too good.
This was another great finish to the Melbourne Cup that had many Australian’s celebrating Shocking’s marvellous win.
2008 Winner – Viewed
1st – Viewed
2nd – Bauer
3rd – C’est La Guerre
4th – Master O’Reilly
Last – Honalulu
DNF – Gaollopin
Viewed hit his straps and shot away from the field on the final straight and narrowly defeated a strong finishing Bauer, who would have won if the race was still ran over 2 miles.
This was one of the most exciting finishes in recent history, giving trainer Bart Cummings his 12th Melbourne Cup winner from 50 years of training, 7 more than anyone else in history.
Details and statistics of the winners since 1990
|2011||Dunaden||C. Lemaire||Mikel Delzangles||3.20.84||$8|
|2010||Americain||Gerald Mosse||Alain de Royer Dupre||3:26.87||$10|
|2009||Shocking||Corey Brown||Mark Kavanagh||3:23.87||$10|
|2008||Viewed||Blake Shinn||Bart Cummings||3:20.58||$46.50|
|2007||Efficient||Michael Rodd||Graeme Rogerson||3:23.34||$24.00|
|2006||Delta Blues||Yasunari Iwata||Katsuhiko Sumii||3:21.47||$20.00|
|2005||Makybe Diva||Glen Boss||Lee Freedman||3:19.17||$3.50|
|2004||Makybe Diva||Glen Boss||Lee Freedman||3:28.55||$4.00|
|2003||Makybe Diva||Glen Boss||David Hall||3:19.90||$9.10|
|2002||Media Puzzle||Damien Oliver||Dermot K. Weld||3:16.97||$6.50|
|2001||Ethereal||Scott Seamer||Sheila Laxon||3:21.08||$10.00|
|2000||Brew||Kerrin McEvoy||Mike Moroney||3:18.68||$15.00|
|1999||Rogan Josh||John Marshall||Bart Cummings||3:19.64||N/A|
|1998||Jezabeel||Chris Munce||Brian Jenkins||3:18.59||N/A|
|1997||Might and Power||Jim Cassidy||Jack Denham||3:18.33||N/A|
|1996||Saintly||Darren Beadman||Bart Cummings||3:18.80||N/A|
|1995||Doriemus||Damien Oliver||Lee Freedman||3:27.60||N/A|
|1994||Jeune||Wayne Harris||David Hayes||3:19.80||N/A|
|1993||Vintage Crop||Michael Kinane||Dermot K. Weld||3:23.40||N/A|
|1992||Subzero||Greg Hall||Lee Freedman||3:24.70||N/A|
|1991||Let’s Elope||Steven King||Bart Cummings||3:18.90||N/A|
|1990||Kingston Rule||Darren Beadman||Bart Cummings||3:16.30||N/A|
History and More Information
All around the country, people stop what they’re doing to tune in to “The Cup”, which now attracts the very best stayers from Australia and around the world, racing to win their share of more than $6 million Australian dollars, as well as the physical cup itsel. People don’t just go for the racing, celebrities from all around the world come to see one of Australia’s most famous events first-hand, it truly is a spectacle. If this race doesn’t get your heart pumping and adrenaline flowing when these champion thoroughbreds make the turn for the final stretch, horse racing simply isn’t for you!
It is estimated that over 80% of adults in Australia have a bet in some form or another (via the TOTE, a bookmaker, an online betting site or an office “sweep”, also known as sweepstakes, between themselves or other means) on the Cup. Due to the enormous crowds and other difficulties associated with placing a bet on Cup Day, online betting is growing larger each year.
Latest Melbourne Cup News
- Ipswich syndicate in "Melbourne Cup" style celebration Sunday, 16 June 2013
“IT’S wonderful. It’s probably our version of the Melbourne Cup for us Ipswich people.”
- Green Moon wins 2012 Melbourne Cup Tuesday, 6 November 2012
Follow all the action as it happens from 2012 Melbourne Cup Day.
- Live Melbourne Cup Day Tuesday, 6 November 2012
Follow all the action as it happens from 2012 Melbourne Cup Day.
- Everything you need to know for Melbourne Cup Monday, 5 November 2012
It’s the race that stops the nation. Melbourne Cup fever is coming fast and there’s plenty you need to know beyond frilly hats and fancy frocks.
- Melbourne Cup tipping guide Monday, 5 November 2012
Do you know more about Bart Simpson than Bart Cummings? Are you more interested in fashion than the fillies? Then this is the Melbourne Cup tipping guide for you.
- Yallingup's Melbourne Cup connection Sunday, 4 November 2012
From the national park fire trails of the Yallingup hills to a beach on Victoria’s Mornington Peninsula, Ethiopia will tomorrow carry the hopes of Australia in the $6 million Emirates Melbourne Cup (3. […]
- 7 Sport: Melbourne Cup Carnival cast Sunday, 28 October 2012
7 Sport commentary team for Melbourne Cup Carnival week.
- Gatewood books Melbourne Cup spot Wednesday, 24 October 2012
English galloper Gatewood has raced his way into Melbourne Cup calculations with a hard-fought victory in the Group Three Geelong Cup (2400m) on Wednesday. The past two Melbourne Cup winners have come. […]