The A-league is the premier Australian football (soccer) competition. It was founded in 2004 and began its first season in 2005. Eleven teams, ten from Australia and one from New Zealand, compete against one another in the regular season. The top six teams go into the A-league finals series and compete through two or three rounds depending on their regular season position to become the winner of the finals series at the grand final.
Common A-League Betting Types
Awarded to the best player in the A-League season. It was first awarded in the National Soccer League in 1990, and upon the NSL’s demise in November 2004, was carried forward into the A-League. It is named after former Australia national football (soccer) team captain and tireless promoter of football (soccer) in Australia, Johnny Warren.
Joe Marston Medal
The prestigeous Joe Marston medal is awarded to the man of the match in the A-League Grand Final each year.
Head to Head Match Betting
Choose which team will win or if it will be a draw.
One of the greatest things about betting on A-League football is the enormous amount of betting options available. Here is a selection of popular bet types.
- Pick the exact score at the end of half or full time.
- The amount of goals that will be scored during a match.
- Draw no bet, means you will be refunded if a draw occurs.
- Who will score the first, second or even the winning goal.
- Whether an odd or even amount of goals be scored.
- Which half will have the most goals scored.
- The A-League season’s top goalscorer.
- Half Time/Full Time doubles.
A-league football is a sport where literally anything can happen. One goal in the last minute can make or break an entire season. Some of the best sides in the A-league have been undone by such goals, this is one of the reasons it is so exciting to watch.
In the 2009 grand final, Adelaide United had a player sent off and still kept fighting until Melbourne Victory got a single goal that won the match. After the goal, Melbourne had a player sent off as well.
Melbourne Victory hold the record for the longest undefeated streak with ten games undefeated in 2006.
In the 08/09 season Shane Smeltz was the top goalscorer for the A-League season, he was also awarded the Johnny Warren Medal for the being the best player in those two years.
Latest A-League Betting Posts
- Round 5 A-League Betting Odds Thursday, 2 September 2010
Round 5 of the 2010/2011 Hyundai A-League season betting odds comparison table
- Round 4 A-League Betting Odds Thursday, 26 August 2010
Round 4 of the 2010/2011 A-League football season is here, and what a round of great value betting odds it is!
- Round 3 A-League Betting Odds Thursday, 19 August 2010
An odds comparison table for round 3 of the 2010/2011 Hyundai A-League season and a free tip from yours truly.
- Round 2 A-League Betting Odds Wednesday, 11 August 2010
A quick odds comparison table for Round 2 of the 2010/2011 A-League soccer season.
- Round 1 A-League Soccer Betting Odds Thursday, 5 August 2010
Guide to betting on the first round of the 2010/2011 A-League soccer season with an odds comparison table displaying the best win odds for each team.
- 2010/2011 A-League Soccer Premiership Betting Odds Wednesday, 4 August 2010
The best odds for the 2010/2011 Hyundai A-League Premiership Plate including an odds comparison table helping you to place your bets online.
Latest News and Headlines
- FA Cup final wins end-of-season billing Wednesday, 19 June 2013
The FA Cup final will be restored as the closing fixture of the English domestic league season next term.
- Lampard aims to match Socceroos Wednesday, 19 June 2013
Shortly after Australia qualified for their third successive World Cup finals, Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard is looking to do the same thing with England.
- Australia no Brazil easybeats Wednesday, 19 June 2013
Socceroos coach Holger Osieck has sought to reassure Australian supporters worried that the team will cop an absolute spanking in Brazil after just scraping through their World Cup qualifying campaign. […]
- In Off The Post Football Podcast – Ep 22 Wednesday, 19 June 2013
Michael Huguenin, Iain Strachan and Paddy Higgs hail the Socceroos’ qualification to Brazil 2014 and look at what Holger Osieck must do before next year’s World Cup, while they also take a look at all. […]
- Bojic bolsters Sydney FC defence Wednesday, 19 June 2013
Sydney FC coach Frank Farina has stiffened his defence with the signing of former Central Coast Mariners right-back Pedj Bojic and returning centre-back Tiago Calvano.
- Focus switch for Neill, Schwarzer Wednesday, 19 June 2013
They are two of the biggest names in Australian football – and 12 months out from a World Cup they have no home.
- Socceroos: All the best quotes Wednesday, 19 June 2013
There was plenty of reaction from the mixed zone last night after Australia qualified for Brazil 2014. Adam Lucius brings you the best of it.
- Holger’s Hail Mary delivers the goods Wednesday, 19 June 2013
Holger Osieck thought he was in trouble with his wife after last week’s ‘women shouldn’t talk in public’ gaffe – but he hadn’t seen real anger until he replaced Tim Cahill with 13 minutes to go in Tue. […]
- Feed has moved Saturday, 21 May 2011
This feed has moved to a new location. Please update your feed reader. A directory of ABC News feeds is available at http://www.abc.net.au/news/feeds/rss/