AFL Premiership Betting
Betting on the Australian Football League Grand Final winner can be a fun and profitable way to support your footy team.
For AFL teams, winning the Premiership Cup and accompanying flag is their ultimate objective, the reason a footy club exists. Not to mention the individual honour of a premiership medallion which is given to each player in a premiership side. Winning a premiership is without a doubt the dream of every AFL footballer who has ever played the game.
The AFL Grand Final is widely regarded as Australia’s most popular and important sporting event, even more important than the Melbourne Cup. Each year the Grand Final brings a near capacity crowd of 100,000 people to the MCG, and it’s watched LIVE by millions of people on televisions across Australia and the world.
Tips for Betting on the Grand Final
One very important thing to keep in mind is the fact that the AFL Finals Series in September are all played with much more intensity, they’re more physical, and require a generally more demanding style of play than throughout the regular home and away season. Umpires don’t seem to be as quick to blow the whistle, and depending on the conditions, stronger bodies or faster legs can become a huge asset on Grand Final Day.
Just because a team finished on top of the ladder, this doesn’t necessarily mean they have the Premiership Cup “in the bag”.
- As with all sports betting, always bet with your head, not your heart.
- Take note of the emergencies, in case “games” are being played by the selection committee.
- Instead of placing a straight out win bet, look closeley at the lines and margins on offer.
- Make sure you look at the team lists to see if there is an obvious mismatch that could be exploited.
- Check the weather forecast and note if it will be wet or dry, then see which team will be better suited to the conditions.
- Study the finals form of both teams heading into the Grand Final, football in September is different than the Home & Away season.
- Keep your eyes and ears open for any injury reports at training, and take not of any suspended players unable to play in the Grand Final.
Recent AFL Grand Final Winners & Runners Up
|2006||West Coast||Sydney Swans|
|2005||Sydney Swans||West Coast|
|2004||Port Adelaide||Brisbane Lions|
|1996||North Melbourne||Sydney Swans|