The National Basketball League, abbreviated to NBL, is the premier basketball competition in Australia. It was created in 1979 and the league is still going strong with a loyal and dedicated following. NBA Basketball has a huge following in the USA with no restrictions on international players, but in the NBL, teams are only allowed to have two foreign players each, therefore most of the players are Australian. Eight teams battle for the chance to win the championship over 30 rounds which culminates in a grand final that is played over 5 games, the team that wins the most of 5 takes home the championship.
Some common NBL bet types
- Who will win the NBL this season?
- What side will be in what position at the end of the regular season?
- Who will win what match and how many points will be scored by either team during the match?
- Who will be in front in the first, second, third or fourth quarters?
- Which player will win the MVP award in both the regular season and the grand final?
- Who will be the coach of the year?
- Which player will have the highest scoring average and the highest in total?
Some interesting NBL facts
- Derek Rucker has the record for the most assists in a match at 24.
- Ian Davies has the record for scoring the most 3 pointers at 13 in one game.
- Melbourne once defeated Sydney by 88 points.
- Brisbane won 21 games in a row in 2007.
Latest NBL News
- NBL, BA agree to de-merger Thursday, 23 May 2013
The de-merger of the National Basketball League and Basketball Australia has been confirmed ahead of the 2013-14 season.
- NBL breaks away from Basketball Australia Thursday, 23 May 2013
Basketball Australia (BA) and the NBL have agreed to split, with the 2013/14 season to be run by the newly-formed National Basketball Competition (NBC).
- James, Heat edge Pacers in OT Thursday, 23 May 2013
LeBron James laid up a buzzer-beating two-pointer to seal Miami Heat’s overtime win at home to the Indiana Pacers in the Eastern Conference finals opener.
- Spurs take control against Memphis Wednesday, 22 May 2013
The San Antonio Spurs have opened up a 2-0 lead in their Western Conference Finals series against the Memphis Grizzlies.
- Parker shines as Spurs go ahead Monday, 20 May 2013
The San Antonio Spurs cruised past the Memphis Grizzlies to win game one of their Western Conference Finals series 105-83.
- Pacers down Knicks, now for Heat Sunday, 19 May 2013
The Indiana Pacers have reached the NBA’s Eastern Conference finals for the first time since 2004 after beating the New York Knicks 106-99.
- Mills’ Spurs oust Bogut’s Warriors Friday, 17 May 2013
Australian centre Andrew Bogut’s NBA playoffs dream has come to an end but compatriot Patty Mills’ championship aspirations remain intact after the San Antonio Spurs eliminated the Golden State Warrio. […]
- Heat through to conference finals Thursday, 16 May 2013
The Miami Heat have reached their third successive Eastern Conference final series with an impressive 94-91 win over the Chicago Bulls.
- Joyce new Opals coach Thursday, 16 May 2013
Former Boomers assistant Brendan Joyce is the new head coach of the Australian Opals women’s basketball team.
- Interview: Kristina Keneally Thursday, 2 May 2013
Basketball Australia (BA) CEO Kristina Keneally discusses the imminent demerger between BA and the NBL.
- NBL and Basketball Australia set to demerge Thursday, 2 May 2013
Basketball Australia is looking to end its stewardship of the National Basketball League as early as this month.
- Lemanis looks set to leave Breakers Monday, 22 April 2013
New Zealand Breakers coach Andrej Lemanis looks likely to be leaving the NBL club after applying for the vacant Australian Boomers job.