Golf is a precision sport involving a ball and a club. The origins of the sport are still debated today, some people believe it originated from the Roman Empire, while others believe that it first cama bout some time in 12th century Scotland. No matter where it came from, it’s a sport that many people love to both play and watch. Many golfers have become world famous players such as Jack Nicklaus who has won a record 18 Majors, Nick Faldo, Ernie Els, Tiger Woods, Australia’s Greg Norman and more recently . Golf is a sport that requires a lot of skill, a caddy to carry your clubs and help choose the correct club and shot selection and a delicate touch. The PGA Tour attracts major sponsorship and live television coverage around the world.
Professional golfers earn enormous amounts of money, and if you’ve ever played golf, you’d know why!
The Four Major Golf Championships or Majors
- U.S. Masters Tournament – Held at Augusta National Golf Club in April 2013.
- U.S. Open Championship – Hosted by USGA and played at various locations in June 2013.
- British Open Championship – Played at one of nine links courses in Scotland or England in July.
- PGA Championship – Played at various locations in the United States on the 4th weekend after the Britsih Open.
Tips for Betting on Golf
Finding value when betting on golf tournaments is surprisingly easy to do once you understand that the favourites lose more often than win. It’s a very common misconception that the favourites win the majority of the time and you may be surprised to learn that outsiders do win Major tournaments (and minor events) at big odds. It is well worth gambling on lesser known, up and coming golfers, even if you back the longshots “each way”, that is to finish in the top 5, you can make some very tidy profits betting on golf over the internet.
How to Get the Best Odds on Golf
I often tell my mates it’s wise to have accounts with multiple online bookmakers so you can compare the odds from each in order to maximise your profits while punting. I have found this to be especially true with golf, there are often very large disparities in the odds of outsiders or roughies for both major championships and smaller tournaments alike. I have found the bookmakers SportingBet and SportsBet generally offer the best odds for betting on golf tournaments, although there are always exceptions.
Another good reason to have multiple online accounts is there are often special promotions or certain exotic bet types that are only available from certain bookmakers, if you have multiple accounts you can take advantage of better odds, money back specials, early payouts, unique betting options and much more. Not to mention that the bookies I have listed at OzePunting.com have allowed me to offer you free bets when you join them through this site.
Some Common Betting Types
- Outright Winner Tournament
- Each Way (finish in the top 5)
- 72 Hole Match Bets
- Australian to Win A Major?
- Winning Nationality of Player
- Head to Head Betting
- PGA Tour Money List Winner
European Tour Tournaments
- Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championships
- Alfred Dunhill Links Championship
- Barclays Scottish Open
- BMW International Open
- BMW Italian Open
- BMW PGA Championship
- Celtic Manor Wales Open
- Commercialbank Qatar Masters
- Johnnie Walker Championship at Gleneagles
- Irish Open
- Nordea Scandinavian Masters
- Omega Dubai Desert Classic
- Omega European Masters
- Open de Espana (Spanish Open)
- Open de France (French Open)
- Volvo World Match Play Championship
World Golf Championships
- WGC Accenture Match Play Championship
- WGC Bridgestone Invitational
- WGC Cadillac Championship
- WGC HSBC Champions
- WGC Tournament of Hope
PGA Tour Tournaments
- Arnold Palmer Invitational
- AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am
- AT&T National
- The Barclays
- BMW Championship
- Children’s Miracle Network Classic
- Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial
- Deutsche Bank Championship
- Farmers Insurance Open
- FedEx St. Jude Championship
- Frys.com Open
- The Honda Classic
- HP Byron Nelson Championship
- Humana Challenge
Other Notable Golf Tournaments
- Australian Open
- Australian PGA Championship
- Australian Masters
- Victorian Open
- New Zealand Open
- The Players Championship
- Race to Dubai
- Ryder Cup
- Presidents Cup
- Walker Cup
- Solheim Cup
- Curtis Cup
- FedEx Cup
- African Open
Latest Golf News & Headlines
- Rose moves into top three after US Open success Monday, 17 June 2013
US Open champion Justin Rose has jumped to number three in the PGA world rankings following his success at Merion on Sunday.
- US Open: Jason Day staying positive after another major close call Monday, 17 June 2013
Despite his near miss at the US Open, Jason Day knows he has time on his side to win one of golf’s majors.
- US Open: Justin Rose wins from Phil Mickelson and Jason Day Monday, 17 June 2013
Justin Rose of England has taken out the US Open ahead of perennial runner-up Phil Mickelson.
- Day: Major triumph not far away Monday, 17 June 2013
Phil Mickelson blamed bogeys on the 13th and 15th holes for his sixth second-placed finish at the US Open, while Australia’s Jason Day talked up his chances of winning a major in the future.
- Price best Aussie in Kansas Monday, 17 June 2013
Australia’s Aron Price completed a successful week to finish in a share of seventh place at the Air Capital Classic, but his score of 11 under was no match for American Scott Parel.
- Rose wins US Open Monday, 17 June 2013
Justin Rose wins the 113th US Open at Merion Golf Club in Ardmore, Pennsylvania.
- Day finishes equal second at US Open Sunday, 16 June 2013
England’s Justin Rose has taken out the US Open, pulling off an outlandish chip on the 18th hole with his three wood to wrap up a two-shot win.
- Putt drops for Rose on 13th Sunday, 16 June 2013
Justin Rose celebrates sinking a putt.
- US Open: Justin Rose wins from Phil Mickelson and Jason Day Sunday, 16 June 2013
Justin Rose of England has won the the US Open from perennial runner-up Phil Mickelson and Australia’s Jason Day.
- Thornton wins dramatic Najeti Open play-off Sunday, 16 June 2013
Irishman Simon Thornton claimed his first European Tour title on Sunday as he won the Najeti Open in an exciting play-off.
- US Open: Shawn Stefani hits hole-in-one on 17th hole at Merion Sunday, 16 June 2013
Shawn Stefani hit a hole-in-one at the 17th hole in the final round of the US Open – the first time that has happened in five tournament visits to Merion Golf Club.
- Ormsby 10th in Thailand Sunday, 16 June 2013
Australia’s Wade Ormsby finished in share of 10th place at the Queen’s Cup as Thailand’s Prayad Marksaeng thrilled the home gallery by taking out the title.